NT PHN is committed to working broadly with the AOD treatment sector towards the key objectives of:
- increasing the service delivery capacity of the drug and alcohol treatment sector through improved regional coordination and by targeting areas of need
- improving the effectiveness of drug and alcohol treatment services for individuals requiring support and treatment by increasing coordination between various sectors, and improving sector efficiency.
NT PHN’s drug and alcohol treatment activity workplan, for the period 1 July 2016 to 30 June 2019, outlines the activities that will be undertaken in the pursuit of these objectives. A thorough, continuous process of identification and assessment of priority needs will inform and guide the planning, commissioning and coordination of service provision in the AOD sector. Priority focus areas include:
- building and increasing the capacity of the AOD sectors’ workforce through improved support in recruitment, retention and training of staff
- improving coordination and integration of services both between service providers within the sector and as part of the broader primary health care system to improve service capacity and effectiveness
- improving the capacity of service providers to monitor, evaluate and report on sector performance.
NT PHN is committed to working closely with health consumers, community organisations and service providers in commissioning health services that work towards these key objectives to strengthen and improve the AOD sector.