The Northern Territory (NT), Drs for Doctors program, is being established in association with Doctors’ Health SA and a new website has been developed for the NT here: www.doctorshealthnt.com.au.
The NT program has emerged in recognition of the many barriers which stop doctors sourcing independent health care for themselves, the uncertainty around helping unwell colleagues and the value in doctors and students having their own GP of choice.
The program is a confidential service for doctors and medical students who seek heath care for themselves and provides assistance if they are uncertain where to start.
The program supports the following value propositions:
- Patients need and deserve to be treated by a doctor who is well.
- Healthy doctors practise better medicine.
- Doctors and students will be healthier if they have their own GP.
- Our own health is a professional responsibility.
- A choice of ways to seek help is needed to overcome the multiple barriers which currently exist.
- A sustainable program must meet the needs of doctors and emphasise access and equity, safety and quality.
The program will grow over time to meet the needs of the profession. Funding support for the program has initially come from:
- A per capita allocation of funds from Medical Board of Australia registration fees
- A grant from the NT PHN.
NT Phone Advisory Line – 08 8366 0250
This is an anonymous 24-hour phone service for doctors and medical students. You will be connected with an experienced general practitioner who is comfortable discussing any matter of concern. The service is anonymous, confidential and advisory in nature.
Program Advisory Panel
The NT program is being established in association with Doctors’ Health SA and a local NT Program Advisory Panel.
Panel members are from the following organisations who have all expressed strong support for the program:
- AMA(NT) – CEO, Fiona Thomson & President, Dr Robert Parker
- NTGPE – CEO, Stephen Pincus
- NT PHN – CEO, Nicki Herriott
- RACGP(SA/NT) – GP, Dr Bronwyn Carson
- Dr David Chapman, NT Psychiatrist
- Dr Roger Sexton, Medical Director, Doctors’ Health SA
The website currently includes a 24-hour phone service for doctors and medical students, that will connect them with an experienced general practitioner. The service is anonymous, confidential and advisory in nature. The website can also link clinicians with to the Doctors’ Health SA website where additional resources and information is available.
For more information, regarding education and training, visit the Doctors Health SA website.