Living and working in the Northern Territory (NT) is a unique and rewarding experience providing opportunities to work in private practice and develop skills in chronic disease, tropical medicine, and Aboriginal and rural health. The challenges are as diverse as the landscape - but the opportunities to achieve professional and lifestyle goals are immense.
NT PHN has a variety of GP vacancies to suit both individual and family lifestyles. Positions are available in practices in the tropical city of Darwin, the rural towns of Alice Springs, Nhulunbuy, Katherine and Tennant Creek, and with Aboriginal Health services which are usually located in remote communities across the outback.
The landscapes are breathtakingly beautiful and range from coastal sunsets to stretches of desert. The NT also offers plenty of activities to keep the family entertained, including camping under the stars, swimming in natural waterfalls, bushwalking and fishing.
Practicing medicine in the NT is varied, interesting and challenging, requiring adaptive and innovative work practices, and a multidisciplinary team-based approach. The rewards of such work are great, and there are opportunities to really make a difference. In rural areas the arrival of a new doctor can make a huge impact on the health of the community.
NT PHN can assist GPs wishing to work in the NT in a variety of ways. GPs will receive a personalised approach to finding the right position for them and their family, and can expect to be supported by our friendly and knowledgeable staff every step of the way.
GPs may be eligible to apply for a number of financial assistance grants, including a Health Professional Support Grant (HPSG) to assist with relocation and orientation. NT PHN also provides full orientation to GPs to assist with settling into a new practice and the NT. Orientation helps to ensure all GPs receive an introduction to the clinical and cultural aspects of practicing in the NT.
Once settled into the NT, NT PHN also facilitates a variety of education events to assist with continuing professional development.
Why work in the NT?
General Practice in the NT offers a compelling combination of stimulating medicine and a unique community lifestyle.
NT General Practice:
- See and treat conditions not seen in other parts of Australia.
- Make a difference for your patients and contribute to improved health outcomes for the Northern Territory.
- Enhance your emergency medical skills.
- A relaxed lifestyle allows you to enjoy a work-life balance
- Sense of community – for you, your partner and your family
- Northern Territory experience unlike other parts of Australia
- Abundance of sporting, cultural and social events and activities
What can we do for you?
The NT Health Workforce branch of NT PHN provides support services to assist you to find the right position for you and your family. Relocation, orientation and a range of ongoing supports are available, including:
- Personalised service matching you and your family to the right position and location
- Provide information to assist with securing relocation and retention financial incentives
- Site visit upon accepted offer of employment
- Provide an Individual Support Package grant to assist with relocation and transitioning to the Northern Territory
- Relocation assistance
- Orientating and training
- Access to Medical Advisors who provide clinical and peer support
- GP and family support services
- Locum support (ensuring you maintain a work/life balance)
- Continuing Professional Development, including the Rural Emergency Skills Training (REST) Course
Non-vocationally recognised (VR) Australian medical graduates
Non-vocationally recognised Australian medical graduates may be eligible to work as a GP under the Rural Locum Relief Program.
Are you an International Medical Graduate (IMG)?
For more information on pathways to gain registration as a medical practitioner in Australia, click here.
t 08 8912 1000