- Aboriginal Medical Service
- Daily rate $1400
- GP Supported Clinic
- Dates available from 22 November 2021 to 4 February 2022
Miwatj Health Aboriginal Corporation currently have a need for an experienced GP Locum in their Ngalkanbuy health service at Galiwin’ku.
Galiwin’ku is a large Yolngu community of around 2500 people, situated on Elcho Island. Originally established as a mission, its population has grown significantly in recent decades and it now faces major infrastructure constraints (particularly housing) which impact on health status.
The health services here are an integral part of the community and the service is a community led initiative by and for the Yolgnu people. The majority of the Health staff are local indigenous people and they are always happy to assist and advise in the provision of appropriate care for the community.
GPs are able to access additional clinical support by contacting other Miwatj GPs or contacting Royal Darwin Hospital to discuss cases or clinical issues with the relevant specialist registrar or consultant.
Most patients of the clinic are local Aboriginal people resident in Galiwin’ku, with additional at times parallel medical support for the outlying communities further north on the island also provided by the Marthakal Clinic. The Galiwin’ku clinic also provides health care for visiting and resident non-indigenous workers, and the occasional traveler.
- 22 November 2021 to 4 February 2022
Clinic Opening Hours:
- 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday
- No on call work/public holidays
Transport and Accommodation:
- All transport from the nearest major airport to and from your location is arranged by NT PHN
- Accommodation and vehicle will be provided by the health service while on placement
Patient Record System:
- This clinic uses Communicare
- Communicare experience essential
Eligibility to Apply:
- Must have current non-restricted specialist registration by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- Fellow of RACGP or ACCRM essential
- Aboriginal Health experience essential
- COVID double vaccination record
- COVID training module certificate
- COVID test required if coming from interstate
Galiwin’ku Arnhem Land:
Elcho Island is a traditional Aboriginal (Yolngu) community situated approximately 550km north-east from Darwin in the Northern Territory and is the southern most Island of the Wessel Island chain. Elcho Island is around 50kms long and only 6kms wide, but because of the unsealed, bush track roads it can take many hours by four-wheel drive to get from one end to the other and at times in the wet season areas become inaccessible.
The township of Galiwin’ku is based at the southern end of Elcho Island and has a seasonal population of Yolngu people which includes outstations at Mata Mata, Inglis Island, Maparru and Gariyak and many others. Galiwin’ku is the largest community in East Arnhem land. The population of Galiwin’ku varies during the seasons, with many of the outstation residents migrating to the community during the wet season due to inaccessibility.
To find out more about this excellent opportunity, please contact Barbara on 08 8982 1010.
NT PHN also have permanent opportunities available in Private Practices and Aboriginal Medical Services across the NT. Please visit our NT PHN website to see how to make your Territory Locum experience into your own permanent adventure!
Check out our Careers Page on LinkedInApply Now