- Aboriginal Medical Service
- Daily rate $1650
- GP Supported Clinic
- Dates available from 5th June to 14th July 2023
- Second dates available from 31st July – Ongoing
Miwatj Health Aboriginal Corporation currently have a need for an experienced GP Locums for their Ngalkanbuy clinic in Galiwin’ku NT
Galiwin’ku (Elcho Island) is a large Yolngu community of around 2500 people, situated on Elcho Island. Originally established as a mission, its population has grown significantly in recent decades and it now faces major infrastructure constraints (particularly housing) which impact on health status.
The health services here are an integral part of the community and the service is a community led initiative by and for the Yolgnu people. The majority of the Health staff are local indigenous people and they are always happy to assist and advise in the provision of appropriate care for the community.
GPs are able to access additional clinical support by contacting other Miwatj GPs or contacting Royal Darwin Hospital to discuss cases or clinical issues with the relevant specialist registrar or consultant.
Most patients of the clinic are local Aboriginal people resident in Galiwin’ku, with additional at times parallel medical support for the outlying communities further north on the island also provided by the Marthakal Clinic. The Galiwin’ku clinic also provides health care for visiting and resident non-indigenous workers, and the occasional traveler.
- Dates available from June to July 2023
- Second dates available from 31st July 2023 – Ongoing
- 3 week minimum placements
Clinic Opening Hours:
- 8:00am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday
- No on call work/public holidays
Transport and Accommodation:
- All transport from the nearest major airport to and from your location is arranged by NT PHN
- Accommodation and vehicle will be provided by the health service while on placement
Patient Record System:
- This clinic uses Communicare
- Communicare experience desired, orientation will be provided
Eligibility to Apply:
- Must have current non-restricted specialist registration by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA)
- Fellow of RACGP or ACCRM
- Aboriginal Health experience
Galiwin’ku Arnhem Land
Elcho Island is a traditional Aboriginal (Yolngu) community situated approximately 550km north-east from Darwin in the Northern Territory and is the southern most Island of the Wessel Island chain.
The township of Galiwin’ku is based at the southern end of Elcho Island and has a seasonal population of Yolngu people which includes outstations at Mata Mata, Inglis Island, Maparru and Gariyak and many others. Galiwin’ku is the largest community in East Arnhem land.
NT PHN also have permanent opportunities available in Private Practices and Aboriginal Medical Services across the NT. Please visit our NT PHN website to see how to make your Territory Locum experience into your own permanent adventure!
To find out more about this excellent opportunity, please contact Bonita on 08 8982 1096.Apply Now