- Miwatj is one of Australia’s largest providers of Aboriginal healthcare
- Miwatj is engaging with health issues at a grass roots community level
- Miwatj is seeking a Remote Area Nurse to provide Women’s health nursing practice
Miwatj Health Aboriginal Corporation (Miwatj Health) are seeking a Health Centre Manager – Nurse to join their team in Milingimbi, Northern Territory.
Miwatj Health is an independent, Aboriginal-controlled health service administered by a Board of Directors representing communities across East Arnhem Land. Miwatj anticipates that the next decade will see great progress in tackling the most important risk factors for Aboriginal health in this region.
What’s in it for you?
- Excellent salary of $121,799 to $126,911 plus superannuation
- Salary sacrificing of $15,900 p/a
- 6 weeks annual leave with 17.5% loading
- On call and remote allowance
- Relocation package to eligible candidates
- Accommodation and vehicle supplied
- Discover breathtaking landscapes and spectacular views
What’s the role?
- Miwatj Health are pleased to offer this position as a full time opportunity. Based in Milingimbi, you will be working closely with their Aboriginal workforce which is critical to clients success. You’ll be committed to finding the best way to communicate with clients and team in order to provide great care in sometimes uncertain circumstances.
- Core aspects of your role will include:
- Lead a multidisciplinary team and coordinate external health service providers to provide a quality and comprehensive primary health care service to the Milingimbi community.
- Undertake the day to day operational management, staff supervision and coordination of health service delivery at the Clinic.
- Coordinate and oversee the on-call roster to ensure coverage of all after-hours periods with a first and second RAN or AHP.
- Coordinate activities in collaboration with the Director, Clinical Services and Regional CQI Coordinator relating to the accreditation process in a timely fashion, including conducting on-site surveys and self-assessments in preparation for external audits.
- Manage the operational budget of the health centre in consultation with the Director, Clinical Services and the Director, Business Services to ensure appropriate financial management of the health centre resources.
- Ensure staff is registered, orientated to and use the PIRs and Communicare systems in accordance with the accepted protocols.
- Support the Director, Clinical Services and the Regional Medicare RN to ensure registered Communicare users are claiming the requisite Medicare items.
- In close liaison with the Coordinator, Workplace Learning and Development and Manager, Human Resources ensure the Aboriginal Health Worker trainees are adequately supervised and supported to obtain their qualification.
- Coordinate visiting specialist clinics to the health centre.
- Lead the health centre morning meeting to ensure all tasks are allocated and clearly communicated
Is the role right for you?
Miwatj are looking for people who are committed to not only growing their capability, but willing to step in and support other team members and clients. Whilst knowledge of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture is helpful, what will really see you thrive in Millingimbi is an open mind, willingness to be exposed to culture, and curiosity. Before you reach out and apply, you need to have:
- Unrestricted Registered Nurse status with AHPRA.
- Commitment to and understanding of the principles of Aboriginal Community Control.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience as a nurse manager of a remote health centre.
- Demonstrated advanced clinical leadership, change management and operational management skills.
- Minimum of 5 years broad and recent nursing experience and 3 years working as a remote area nurse.
- Post-graduate qualification in health management or similar.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the social determinants of health issues affecting indigenous people and how Primary Health Care principles apply in a remote Aboriginal community setting.
- A high level of adaptive interpersonal communication skills to work effectively with Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles of Continuous Quality Improvement and their application in a primary health care setting.
- A demonstrated understanding of the evidence base for addressing preventable chronic diseases in remote areas, including both prevention and management.
- Experience in participating in emergency after hours call services.
- Remote Emergency Care certificate (REC).
- Maternity Emergency Care certificate (MEC).
- Advanced Life Support (ALS) certificate.
- Current Manual drivers licence.
Whats it like living in Milingimbi?
Milingimbi is one of the Crocodile Islands located between the Blyth and the Glyde Rivers and is separated from the mainland by a narrow channel. It is approximately 500km east of Darwin and 250 km west of Nhulunbuy. Milingimbi has a School, Health Clinic, ALPA (Arnhemland Progress Association) Store, Centrelink agency, art gallery, library & Australia Post. ALPA operates a community store & is open 6 days a week.
We want to hear from you! APPLY TODAY by clicking the “APPLY NOW” link
Please contact Lauren for more information on 08 8982 1011