The newly established Health Workforce Scholarship Program (HWSP) managed in the Northern Territory (NT) by Northern Territory PHN will provide scholarships and bursaries to eligible medical, nursing, allied health and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health workers and practitioners. By supporting remote health professionals to increase their skills, capacity and scope of practice, the HWSP is intended to improve the access to health services in remote areas of the Northern Territory.
The Health Workforce Scholarship Program is an initiative of the Australian Government Department of Health designed to improve access to health services needed in rural areas.
The scholarships can be used for the following:
- medical, nursing, allied health professionals and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Workers undertaking further postgraduate study
- one-off bursaries to support rural professionals in medicine, nursing, allied health and Aboriginal Health Workers participating in professional development and upskilling courses. Bursary payments are available to cover the cost of training or course fees and/or cover training-related expenses such as accommodation and transport.
Scholarships will be provided to health professionals in rural and remote communities with the greatest primary health workforce and service needs.
To be eligible, health professionals must be:
- working in the fields of medicine, nursing, allied health and Aboriginal Health
- working in rural and remote locations classified by the Modified Monash Model 3-7
- working in private practice, an Aboriginal Medical Service or non-government organisation (cannot be solely employed by State Government)
Applications for Scholarships and Bursaries
Applications for the HWSP scholarships are now open. Applications will be accepted until COB Wednesday, 20 December 2017. Applicants will receive notification of the outcome of their application after Monday, 8 January 2018.
Commencing 20 November 2017 applicants are invited to apply for HWSP bursaries throughout the full year with no formal rounds.
For application information, see the Health Workforce Scholarship Program Application Information. To apply, complete the Application Form.