Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the Health Professional of the Year Awards?
- Who can propose a nomination?
- Who is eligible to be nominated?
- What are the categories?
- How to nominate?
- What are the criteria?
- Who is on the selection panel?
- Who are the previous winners?
The Northern Territory has a unique primary health environment with diverse populations, health needs and skilled professionals. Northern Territory PHN works to identify health needs and gaps and design customised services to meet local needs. The Health Professional of the Year Awards recognise health professionals who share our commitment and values and who are striving to customise their service and engage their patients and peers to improve health and wellbeing in the NT.
- members of the general public
- members of the health care industry
- self-nominations will not be accepted.
Who is eligible to be nominated?
All categories for the Health Professional of the Year Awards are for individuals. To nominate someone for an individual category, the nominee must:
- be currently undertaking their role as a health professional in the Northern Territory
- be nominated in relation to their contribution to Primary Health Care.
The category for Primary Health Care Support Person of the Year is for an individual who:
- is currently working in an administrative or other support role in a primary health care service in the Northern Territory – e.g. cleaners, gardeners, drivers, reception staff, practice managers
- is currently undertaking their role as a staff member in a primary health care service in the Northern Territory
- is nominated in relation to their support role in service delivery to a primary health care service.
- Health Professional of the Year – Specialist GP or other doctor working in Primary Health Care
- Health Professional of the Year – Nurse and/or Midwife
- Health Professional of the Year – Allied Health Practitioner
- Health Professional of the Year – Aboriginal Health Practitioner
- GP Locum Acknowledgement of Service (no nominations necessary)
- Primary Health Care Support Person of the Year
1. Health Professionals of the Year
For all Health Professional of the Year Awards the same criteria will apply:
Question: How does the health professional you are nominating make a difference to primary health care in the Northern Territory?
Maximum 300-word response – dot point responses encouraged.
It is expected that all responses will demonstrate how the team engages with the community and individuals in a culturally appropriate manner.
When nominations are being judged, the panel will consider how the health professional has demonstrated at least one of the following areas. There will be one award presented in each category for practitioners who demonstrate excellence in one or more of the following areas (they do not need to achieve in all of these areas):
- Clinical excellence in primary health care
- Excellence in patient centred care in primary health care
- Demonstrated excellence in their contribution to the improvement of primary health care services in their community
- Set an example of excellence for other Health Professionals working in primary health care
- Made a lasting or long term contribution to primary health care
- Demonstrated excellence in their approach to empowering individuals to understand their own health and the health of their community.
2. GP Locum Acknowledgement of Service
This will be awarded to the Locum GP(s) who have delivered significant service in the last 12 months through the NT PHN Locum Service (July 17 – June 18). No nominations are necessary. They will be awarded to the GP(s) who have demonstrated the following attributes:
- Delivered significant days of service in the last 12 months through the NT PHN Locum Service (July 17 – June 18)
- Demonstrated flexibility and responsiveness in responding to urgent requests by health services for locum support
- Provided consistent continuity of locum cover for long-term vacancies.
3. Primary Health Care Support Person of the Year Award
For the Primary Health Care Support Person of the Year Award the following criteria will apply:
Question: How does the primary health care support person you are nominating make a difference to primary health care in the Northern Territory?
Maximum 300-word response – dot point responses encouraged.
It is expected that all responses will demonstrate how the individual engages with the community and individuals in a culturally appropriate manner.
Nominations should address all of the criteria. When nominations are being judged, the panel will consider how the primary health care support person has demonstrated excellence in all of the following.
- Demonstrates excellent initiative to support quality of care to patients in the practice/health centre
- Demonstrates excellence in implementing effective planning and processes
- Works well in a team and enthusiastically motivates others
- The positive difference this person has made to the practice/health centre.
All nominations must be completed in full, including:
- current contact details of the nominator
- current contact details of the nominee
- current contact details of one phone referee.
The nominee and referee must be aware they are listed and may be contacted regarding the nomination.
Nominations for the 2018 awards have now closed. The winners will be announced at the Compass Teaching & Learning Conference Gala Dinner on Friday 23 November.
Nominations can be made via the online form.
Email and Mail
Nomination forms may be found in your health service, GP clinics and other practices in the NT.
Nominations can be emailed to:
Nominations can be typed or handwritten.
Nomination forms can be posted to:
C/o Workforce Awards
Northern Territory PHN
GPO Box 2562
Darwin NT 0801
Nominations will be accepted over the phone and where possible two staff will take the nomination to verify the correct details are recorded and should address the questions on the nomination form.
Phone nominations can be made to the following:
t: 08 8982 1000
Video nominations will be accepted and should address the nomination question(s) and criteria.
The footage is not required to be polished nor contain special effects and editing, however, please ensure the clip:
- is between 2-5 minutes long
- primarily contains footage of the person nominating
- does not contain music
- is submitted via one of the following methods:
- google drive
The link to the video may be emailed to: email@example.com
A selection panel of representatives will review the nominations, choose finalists and select the winners. The panel’s decision is final. Details of the panel members are coming soon.
The awards night will be held at the Compass Teaching & Learning Conference Gala Dinner on Friday, 23 November 2018.
The winner of each category will receive a $1000 CPD voucher.
Finalists will be invited to the awards ceremony.
- Reasonable travel and accommodation will be paid for winners to enable them to be present.
For the 2017 Winners, click here.