- Rewarding opportunity to deliver comprehensive primary health care
- Immerse yourself in a remote community in the Katherine region
- Enjoy an excellent salary and benefits
NT PHN are partnering with Sunrise Health Service Aboriginal Corporation (SHSAC), to find a General Practitioner to work in and provide excellent healthcare to their remote communities. Sunrise Health Service is a community controlled health organisation providing comprehensive primary health care services through nine remote health centres to some 4000 people living in the Katherine East region. Health centres are located at Barunga, Manyallaluk, Wugularr, Bulman, Mataranka, Jilkminggan, Minyerri, Ngukurr and Urapunga.
The SHSAC approach involves community people owning and controlling their health services. Strategic direction is set by the SHSAC Board with the aim of providing comprehensive primary health care programs that are holistic and culturally safe. It is a “two way learning” model where program design combines traditional knowledge with Western evidence-based practice.
The General Practitioner will be responsible for providing culturally appropriate, high level of primary health care to members of a remote Katherine community. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience working in Aboriginal health, and they will display expertise in chronic disease care.
Enjoy 6 weeks annual leave per year
Generous salary and salary packaging available
Relocation assistance (depending on eligibility) and subsidised accommodation
For a confidential discussion about this excellent opportunity contact the recruitment and retention team:
t 08 8982 1010
Applicants are required to provide a current CV and contact details for at least two referees.
- Current registration with the Medical Board of Australia (AHPRA)
- Fellow of the RACGP or ACRRM with comprehensive experience in General Practice
- Good communication skills, especially in a cross-cultural environment
- Willingness and ability to accommodate Aboriginal values and traditions in clinical practice
- Ability to work well under pressure and work effectively in a multidisciplinary primary health care team
- Willingness, ability and appropriate levels of health and fitness to travel to and work from remote locations.
Northern Territory PHN (NT PHN) offers support and financial assistance to General Practitioners who are relocating to the NT or moving within the NT to a greater remoteness area classification for the purposes of employment. For further information regarding these opportunities, contact the recruitment and retention team.
- Health Professional Support Grant of up to $10,000, dependent on location
- General Practice Rural Incentives Program (GPRIP) of up to $60,000 (dependent on location and years of practice in the location)
- CPD Grant of up to $3,000 per financial year
The Location: Katherine
The town of Katherine is the thriving main town within this sub-tropical region, situated a three-hour drive south of Darwin. The main town is situated on the banks of the Katherine River and has a population of around 10,000 people while the larger Katherine region has a population of just over 24,000. Katherine is well equipped as a regional town with a shopping centre that features a supermarket and many specialty shops. Katherine is on the edge of Kakadu National park which is filled with waterfalls and bush walks. Kayaking through the picturesque Katherine Gorge is a popular weekend activity.